Slow Cooker Beef Stew
This easy slow cooker beef stew recipe made with potatoes, carrots, celery, broth, herbs, and spices is hearty and comforting. You won’t be slow to say ‘yum’!
This slow cooker beef stew is the perfect low maintenance meal for chilly fall and winter nights. Full of cozy flavor and hearty ingredients, this beef stew recipe will warm you up from the inside out.
Slow Cooker Beef Stew Ingredients
These are the ingredients you’ll need to make this top-rated beef stew recipe:
· Stew meat: This recipe starts with two pounds of beef stew meat, cut into 1-inch pieces.
· Flour: All-purpose flour thickens the broth, ensuring a hearty stew.
· Seasonings: This beef stew is seasoned with salt, pepper, Worcestershire sauce, paprika, garlic, and a bay leaf.
· Broth: Use store-bought or homemade beef broth.
· Vegetables: You’ll need carrots, potatoes, onions, and celery.
How to Make Beef Stew In the Slow Cooker
You’ll find the full, step-by-step recipe below — but here’s a brief overview of what you can expect when you make this slow cooker beef stew:
1. Combine ingredients: Place the beef in the slow cooker, then toss with flour, salt, and pepper. Add the broth, vegetables, Worcestershire sauce, paprika, garlic, and bay leaf. Stir to combine.
2. Set slow cooker: Cover the Crock-Pot and cook on Low for 8 to 12 hours or on High for 4 to 6 hours.
What to Serve With Slow Cooker Beef Stew
This hearty Crock-Pot beef stew is a complete meal as-is, so there’s no need to serve it with any side dishes. However, if you do want to add a little something extra, consider pairing it with homemade bread — try a French baguette or basic dinner rolls. A simple side salad would also work well.
How to Store Slow Cooker Beef Stew
Transfer the cooled beef stew to a shallow, airtight container. Store in the refrigerator for up to three days. Reheat in the microwave or on the stove.
Can You Freeze Slow Cooker Beef Stew?
Yes, you can freeze slow cooker beef stew for up to three months. Ladle the stew in serving-size portions to zip-top freezer bags (leave about ½-inch of space at the top, as the liquid will expand as it freezes). Squeeze out the excess air and freeze flat. Thaw in the fridge or in a warm water bath.
Allrecipes Community Tips and Praise
“Excellent recipe,” raves one Allrecipes community member. “Great flavor, easy to make, and it warms you up on a cold winter day!”
“The only thing I added was a splash of red wine — not much,” according to Sharon Schroeder. “It was the tastiest, tenderest beef stew I’ve ever made.”
“Perfect exactly as written,” says MISSLIZA. “Super easy to throw together in the morning and a great tasting meal to sit down to at the end of the day!”
- 2 pounds beef stew meat, cut into 1-inch pieces
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 ½ cups beef broth
- 4 medium carrots, sliced
- 3 medium potatoes, diced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon ground paprika
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 large bay leaf
Place meat in slow cooker.
Mix flour, salt, and pepper together in a small bowl. Pour over meat, and stir until meat is coated.
Add beef broth, carrots, potatoes, onion, celery, Worcestershire sauce, paprika, garlic, and bay leave; stir to combine.
Cover, and cook until beef is tender enough to cut with a spoon, on Low for 8 to 12 hours, or on High for 4 to 6 hours.
Serve hot and enjoy!
This original recipe submission called for slow cooking on Low for 10 to 12 hours. When making the video for this recipe, our food stylists found a cook time of 8 hours on Low (or 4 hours on High) was sufficient. Please stir and check doneness along the way to be sure your meat is cooked properly.
Nutrition Facts (per serving)