Cream Corn Like No Other
Creamed corn made from scratch is so much better than anything you’ll find in a can. This quick and easy creamed corn recipe pairs frozen corn kernels with a decadently creamy sauce. For a cheesier taste, stir in more Parmesan cheese or sprinkle it on top of each serving. My husband is not a fan of corn or creamed dishes, but he thinks this is great. It’s especially delicious side with chicken or pork, at barbecues, or served at your Thanksgiving table. Be ready to share the recipe!
This creamed corn recipe comes together in just 15 minutes — and it’s so much better than the canned stuff.
Creamed Corn Ingredients
These are the ingredients you’ll need to make this creamed corn recipe:
- Corn: This recipe starts with two packages of thawed frozen corn kernels.
- Cream: Heavy whipping cream is the key to the creamy, decadent texture.
- Sugar: A tablespoon of white sugar adds a hint of sweetness.
- Seasonings: This creamed corn recipe is simply seasoned with salt and pepper.
- Butter: Butter adds richness and flavor.
- Milk: This recipe calls for whole milk, but you can use 2 percent milk if you’d prefer.
- Flour: All-purpose flour acts as a thickening agent, so you don’t have to worry about runniness.
- Cheese: Parmesan cheese is the perfect finishing touch. For more cheesy flavor, sprinkle some more on top before serving.
How to Make Creamed Corn
You’ll find the full, step-by-step recipe below — but here’s a brief overview of what you can expect when you make this creamed corn:
- Cook the corn, cream, sugar, butter, and seasonings together until the butter is melted.
- Whisk the flour and milk together, then whisk the milk mixture into the corn mixture.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the cheese until it’s melted.
What to Serve With Creamed Corn
Creamed corn is the perfect side dish to serve alongside comfort food favorites, such as meatloaf. It also pairs well with potluck fare like barbecue, hot dogs, and burgers. In need of some inspiration? Explore these mouthwatering recipe collections:
- 15 Top-Rated Recipes for Your Barbecue Menu
- Our 30 Best Comfort Food Recipes You’ll Never Tire Of
- 15 Summer Grilling Menus You’ll Eat All Season Long
How to Store Creamed Corn
Allow the creamed corn to cool, then transfer to an airtight container. Store in the refrigerator for three to four days. Reheat on the stove or in the microwave.
Allrecipes Community Tips and Praise
“Outstanding recipe,” raves msgreenyolk. “I made one simple change….I used fresh corn. Such an unbelievably good taste and texture. I will definitely be making this recipe over and over again!”
“I doubled this recipe for a big crowd,” says Teresa DeHart. “It was a huge hit and absolutely delicious!!! I will definitely make it again!”
“Fabulous BBQ side dish,” according to MO City Reviewer. “I confess to adding a quarter teaspoon of cayenne pepper to the mixture, but that was only because we like a touch of heat. The cream corn would have been just as good without it.”
Editorial contributions by Corey Williams
- 2 (10 ounce) packages frozen corn kernels, thawed
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, or to taste
- 2 tablespoons butter
- ½ cup whole milk
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese, or more to taste
Combine corn, heavy cream, sugar, butter, salt, and pepper in a skillet over medium heat. Cook, stirring occasionally, until butter has melted, 3 to 5 minutes.
Meanwhile, whisk together milk and flour in a small bowl until smooth.
Add milk mixture to the skillet and continue to cook, stirring constantly, until sauce is thickened and corn is cooked through, about 4 minutes.
Remove from the heat, and stir in Parmesan cheese until melted. Serve hot.
Nutrition Facts (per serving)